In an ever-changing world, the ONE thing that is constant at ALL SAINTS is our faith. We are currently without a full-time clergy and have decided to take this time of transition on our faith journey to reassess and recommit ourselves to the mission and the ministry of what God has called the members of ALL SAINTS to be in this location, at this time in our lives.
In 1925, land was owned by St. John’s Episcopal Church – Detroit was purchased by the Episcopal Diocese of Michigan to extend the church’s mission.
In 1926, several Vestrymen from St. John’s sponsored a meeting at the residence of a member at 18305 Wildemere. After many such meetings, the decision was made to open a church school in the neighborhood.
In 1927, classes began in a wooden structure of Hampton Elementary School (now renamed Palmer Park Academy), which is located near the site of ALL SAINTS Church.
On Sunday, November 25, 1928, the cornerstone of the church building was laid, with the Rev. Herman Page, PhD, Bishop of the Diocese of Michigan, presiding at the ceremonies. In August of 1929, The Rev. Dr. Berton S. Levering, Rector of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Ypsilanti, MI., became the Vicar of ALL SAINTS (mission) Church.
On September 27, 1929, dedication ceremonies were conducted for the completed church building. Later on that year, ALL SAINTS’ “mission” Church assumed full parish status. Dr. Levering was installed as the first rector. He served for nearly 30 years, until his retirement in 1958. During his incumbency, the parish enjoyed considerable growth in all areas. The church building was expanded, and added the Undercroft containing a dining area complete with kitchen, stage, classrooms, and a children’s chapel.